Howell Township ADD Testing
Empowered Learning Transformation Centers
Key points about ADHD/ADD in children
· ADHD/ADD is a behavior disorder. It is often first diagnosed in childhood.
· There are 3 major types. They are based on a child’s symptoms.
· A child with ADHD/ADD may have trouble paying attention. He or she may also be impulsive and hyperactive.
· The cause of ADHD/ADD may be genetic. It tends to run in families.
· A healthcare provider diagnoses ADHD/ADD after observing a child’s behavior and doing certain tests.
· Treatment often includes medicine. Parents may also get training in behavior management skills. Your child may also be able to take self-management training at school.
· Next steps
Tips to help you get the most from a visit to your child’s healthcare provider:
· Know the reason for the visit and what you want to happen.
· Before your visit, write down questions you want answered.
· At the visit, write down the name of a new diagnosis, and any new medicines, treatments, or tests. Also write down any new instructions your provider gives you for your child.
· Know why a new medicine or treatment is prescribed and how it will help your child. Also know what the side effects are.
· Ask if your child’s condition can be treated in other ways.
· Know why a test or procedure is recommended and what the results could mean.
· Know what to expect if your child does not take the medicine or have the test or procedure.
· If your child has a follow-up appointment, write down the date, time, and purpose for that visit.
· Know how you can contact your child’s provider after office hours. This is important if your child becomes ill and you have questions or need advice.
Contact us today!